Welcome to Dickenson County Public Schools!  We are pleased that you will be joining our community of learners. 

Children who reach the age of 5 by September 30 of the start of a new school year may enroll as a kindergarten student in Dickenson County Public Schools. Students with birthdays after September 30 must wait until the following school year to attend public school in Virginia. 

An individual who resides within the school division and is beyond school age (who has not reached his or her 5th birthday on or before September 30 of the school year or who has reached his or her 20th birthday on or before August 1st of the school year) may, at the discretion of the School Board, be admitted into the division schools. 

For students transferring from other school divisions, records will be forwarded to Dickenson County Public Schools in a timely manner.  Once records are received, placement and class schedules can be set.  

If you have questions about the enrollment process, please call the main office of your child's new school or call 276-926-4643 for information.

In order to enroll a child in Dickenson County Public Schools, state law requires a parent or guardian of a child to provide certain information to Dickenson County Public Schools. The required information is listed below: 

Certified Birth Certificate 

No pupil shall be admitted for the first time to any public school in any school division in this Commonwealth unless the person enrolling the pupil shall present, upon admission, a certified copy of the pupil's birth record (Section 22.1-3.1 of the Code of Virginia). 

If birth certificate is not available, you must complete an AFFIDAVIT - ABSENCE OF CERTIFIED BIRTH CERTIFICATE FORM. 

A certified copy of a birth record for a person born in Virginia may be obtained from the Virginia Department of Health, Division of Vital Records and Health Statistics.  See here for information about obtaining a certified copy of a birth record.


Section 22.1-3 of the Code of Virginia provides that the public schools in each school division shall be free to each person of school age who resides within the school division.  A student is deemed a resident of a school division and entitled to enroll in school if he or she is living with a natural parent or a parent by legal adoption.  A court order or proof of custody cannot be required of a natural parent for the enrollment of a student who is living with him/her. The student is also deemed to reside within the school division when the student is living with an adult relative providing temporary kinship care as defined in § 63.2-100 of the Code (See Kinship Care Admission below).  Please see § 22.1-3 for more information about kinship care and the other instances under which a student is deemed a resident and entitled to enrollment.

Students with a Parent or Parents in the Military

Virginia is a member of the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (Compact).  The purpose of the Compact is to streamline the transfer of children of military families into Virginia public schools.  Specifically, the Compact addresses the following: (1) records and enrollment (Article IV), which contains provisions regarding record transfers, immunizations, and school entrance age; (2) placement and attendance (Article V), which contains provisions regarding course and program placement and special education services; (3) eligibility (Article VI), which addresses documentation requirements for enrollment; and (4) graduation (Article VII), which addresses how receiving school divisions will facilitate the on-time graduation of military transfer students.  (§ 22.1-360 Code of Virginia)

A student is deemed a resident of Dickenson County and cannot be denied admission or charged tuition if the student is living with a noncustodial parent or other person standing in loco parentis, not solely for school purposes, pursuant to a Special Power of Attorney executed under Title 10, United States Code, § 1044b, by the custodial parent.  (§ 22.1-3)  Such students may continue to attend school in the school division they attended while residing with the custodial parent without paying tuition or they may attend school in the school division in which the noncustodial parent or other person standing in loco parentis resides without paying tuition. (§ 22.1-360)

For additional information about the enrollment of students of military families, please see: Military Families.

Homeless Students

Dickenson County Public Schools will immediately enroll homeless students and coordinate the provision of services to these students with our local social services agency and other agencies and programs providing services to such students, and with other school divisions.  In addition, Dickenson County Public schools will not exclude from school attendance those homeless children who do not provide the requisite health or immunization information required of other students.  Schools will  immediately refer the student to the school division liaison required to assist the student in obtaining the necessary physical examination or proof of completion of immunizations.  For more information regarding the enrollment of homeless students, please see
§ 22.1-3 and visit http://education.wm.edu/centers/hope/.


No pupil shall be admitted by a school in the Commonwealth of Virginia unless at the time of admission the student or his parent or guardian submits documentary proof of immunization to the admitting official of the school. (Section 22.1-271.2 of the Code of Virginia)   

Street Address

Documentation of the street address or route number of the child's residence must be provided. If no street address or route number exists for the child's residence, a post office box number must be provided.  (Section 22.1-4.1 of the Code of Virginia) 

School Health Form 

Students admitted for the first time to any Dickenson County Public Schools are required to provide a comprehensive physical examination, signed by a licensed physician or nurse practitioner or licensed physician assistant, and performed within twelve months of the initial enrollment date. (Section 22.1-70 of the Code of Virginia)

For students transferring into Dickenson County Public Schools, a copy of a physical examination in their cumulative record which meets the above requirements will be accepted. 

        Virginia School Entrance Health Form                         ​     

Child's Social Security Number

Dickenson County Public Schools does not require any student to provide a social security number in order to enroll.

Expulsion Statement

Parents/guardians must provide a sworn statement or affirmation about whether the child has been expelled from attending a private school or another public school in Virginia or a school in another state for an offense involving weapons, alcohol or drugs, or for willful infliction of injury to another person when enrolling. (Section 22.1-3.2  of the Code of Virginia)

In addition, the parent must provide a sworn statement or affirmation indicating whether the student has been found guilty of or adjudicated delinquent for any offense listed in subsection G of Section 16.1-260 or any substantially similar offense under the laws of any state, the District of Columbia, or the United States or its territories.

      • Affirmation Form

Kinship Care Admission

A person of school age is deemed to reside in the school division when the parents of such person are unable to care for the person and the person is living, not solely for school purposes, with another person who resides in the school division and is an adult relative providing temporary kinship care as that term is defined in Va. Code Section 63.2-100.  Both parents and the relative providing kinship care must submit signed, notarized affidavits: 

  1. (a) explaining why the parents are unable to care for the person,
  2. (b) detailing the kinship care arrangement, and
  3. (c) agreeing that the kinship care provider or a parent will notify the school within  30 days of when the kinship care arrangement ends.

The parent must also provide a power of attorney authorizing the adult relative to make educational decisions regarding the person.

"Kinship care" means the full-time care, nurturing, and protection of children by relatives.

Transfer Students

Section 22.1-253.13:4 of the Code of Virginia (Standard 4 of the Standards of Quality) requires the Dickenson County School Board to make provisions for students who transfer between public secondary schools and from nonpublic schools or from home instruction as outlined in the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (SOA).  The SOA provides:

  • …Students transferring in grades K-8 from Virginia public schools or nonpublic schools accredited by one of the approved accrediting constituent members of the Virginia Council for Private Education shall be given recognition for all grade-level work completed.  The academic record of students transferring from all other schools shall be evaluated to determine appropriate grade placement in accordance with policies adopted by the local school board….  (8VAC20-131-60.A)

  • …A secondary school shall accept credits toward graduation received from Virginia nonpublic schools accredited by one of the approved accrediting constituent members of the Virginia Council for Private Education (VCPE)….  (8VAC20-131-60.D)